Keynote Speaker at 2016 Wood Buffalo Career Fair:
Lionel F. Laroche, Ph. D., P. Eng.
President, MultiCultural Business Solutions Inc.
Over the past 18 years, Lionel Laroche has provided cross-cultural training, coaching and consulting services to over 60,000 people in 17 countries. Lionel specializes in helping professionals and organizations overcome the challenges brought by cultural differences and turn them into opportunities.
Lionel is a very dynamic, entertaining and educational speaker / facilitator who presented at over 250 conferences and venues, organized by a wide range of business, government, academic, professional and non-profit organizations. In particular, Lionel has presented at many conferences and career fairs designed to help Internationally Educated Professionals (IEPs) find employment that makes use of their education, experience and expertise. For example, Lionel delivered keynote addresses and/or facilitated workshops at the following conferences in the last three years:
- The Gateway Conference, organized by York Region (Ontario)
- The "Diving into the Talent Pool" Forum for Employers organized by Alberta Foreign Qualification Recognition
- The Immigration Forum organized by the Economic Development Council of Nova Scotia
- The Edmonton Global Talent Conference organized by the Edmonton Region Immigrant Employment Council
- The Global Hamilton Conference organized by Workforce Planning Hamilton
- The "Recruiting and Retaining Culturally Different Employees" event organized by the Central Alberta Economic Partnership
- The "Recruiting and Retaining Culturally Different Employees" event organized by the Nova Scotia Economic Development Council
- The Diversity Summit organized by the Greater Victoria Economic Partnership Network
- The "Recruiting and Retaining Culturally Different Employees" event organized by the Central Vancouver Island Multicultural Society
- The "Employing Foreign Workers" conference organized by the Canadian Institute
He is the author of over 100 publications examining the impact of cultural differences on business in general and technical functions (engineering, science, and software) in particular. His publications have appeared in over 30 trade magazines published in eight countries. He has written three books:
- Danger and Opportunity: Bridging Cultural Diversity for Competitive Advantage, 2014.
- Recruiting, Retaining and Promoting Culturally Diverse Employees, 2007.
- Managing Cultural Diversity in Technical Professions, 2002.
Throughout his training, coaching and consulting practice, Lionel makes use of his extensive international engineering, management, sales and human resources experience, working with people from over 60 countries. He worked for several multinational companies, including Xerox, Procter & Gamble, British Petroleum, and Jeumont-Schneider.
Born in France, Lionel obtained his “Diplôme d’Ingénieur Polytechnicien” from the Ecole Polytechnique de Paris, France and his Ph. D. in Chemical Engineering from the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, California, USA.